Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Psalm 5:1-3, 11-12: "Boast in the Cross"

Psalm 5:1-3, 11-12
To the choirmaster: for the flutes. A Psalm of David
1-3 "Give ear to my words, O LORD; consider my groaning. Give attention to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, for to you do I pray. O LORD, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch."

11-12 "But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy, and spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may exult in you. For you bless the righteous, O LORD; you cover him with favor as with a sheild."


Oh how I love the Psalms!

I have to say something about the "for the flutes." I went to a bunch of "flute choir" concerts and flute recitals when I was in college. Oh man, the flute choir stuff just put me to sleep...seriously! This passage certainly doesn't have that effect on me though!

I love the phrase in the morning you hear my voice. There is a sweetness to that phrase. Also, this phrase spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may exult in you. Is this not what God has done in His Son! By dying He spread his protection/blood over us, that those who love His name or confess Jesus as LORD may exult or boast in Him. It reminds me of:
1 Corinthians 1:31 "...Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord,"
and
Galatians 6:14, "But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."
Boast in the cross!

The last phrase in verse 12 For you bless the righteous, O LORD; you cover him with favor as with a sheild is also very encouraging to me. Assurance that our Lord is covering us with favor as a sheild.

I also see Christ's blood as the sheild because He shed it for the people for whom He has favor, not because they have merit, but because He loves them/us!~

Boast in the cross today!

No comments: