I know I'm delinquent in getting this posted out here, but if you think of us today please pray for my sermon on Matthew 13 today. Pray that God would speak through His Word, and that He would bear fruit in the lives of those who listen. I'm preaching at First Baptist Church Marydel on the Maryland/Delaware border.
Sunday, September 28, 2008
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
I just wanted to point you to a helpful series that a friend, Greg Gilbert, has been doing over at the 9Marks Church Matters Blog on a series called Church Reform When You're Not The Pastor. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest! Here's what he has done so far.
Introduction - Church Reform When You're Not the Pastor: A Series
(1) Reform is easier in a small church than in a large one.
(2) Do what Christians do--love.
(3) Make yourself a help, not a problem, to your church's leaders.
(4) Aspire to leadership.
(5) Have conversations with people--lots of them.
(6) Train other leaders. Aim for majorities.
(7) Show up to the meeting with a completed idea. Then let go of it.
(8) Decide what's crucial. Be willing to compromise on the rest.
(9) Talk alot with those most opposed. Make a good-faith effort to alleviate their concerns.
(10) Don't insist on unanimity.
(11) Be very careful with supermajorities. Know what they're for.
Sunday, September 07, 2008
For those of you that prayed for me when I went down to preach a few months back at New Life Praise Church in Sanford, North Carolina thank you. My preparation time was sweet, and it was wonderful to think about what it means for the church to be a display of God's glory in Ephesians 3 (and really the entire book).
Below is a pic of one of their Deacons and one of their Yokefellows with me.
If you think of them please pray for their church! It was a pleasure to meet them, and it was humbling to bring God's Word to them.
[UPDATE: Here is a recording of my sermon: The Church, A Display of God's Glory: Ephesians 3]
Friday, September 05, 2008
Have you ever wondered what Ben Wright was up to in 1965? Two words Herr Zeller! Yup, in 1965 Ben Wright played Herr Zeller in the Sound of Music! Here's a screen shot of the credits! He's the fifth one down.
Ben I had no clue you were that old;)
[HT: Lindsey Braymen]