Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Get Yourself Out of It

I'm finishing some books that I started before last semester started before I get back into Owen's The Glory of Christ. I just finished Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching and this quote from John MacArthur Jr. stuck out to me.
If you want to be used mightily by God, get yourself out of it. Learn to see yourself as a garbage pail, or, in the words of Peter, clothe yourself with humility. It's not you; it's not your personality; it's the Word of God. He doesn't need the intellectuals. He doesn't need great people, fancy people, or famous people. Because the people aren't the power. The power is the message! "That the surpassing greatness of the power may be of God and not from ourselves [pp. 283]."

Reminds me of John 3:30 "He must increase, but I must decrease. [ESV]"

No comments: