Thursday, July 06, 2006

To the Sky...What is my God?

Augustine:
"But what is my God? I put my question to earth. It answered, 'I am not God,' and all things on earth declared the same. I asked the sea and the chasms of the deep and the living things that creep in them, but they answered, 'We are not your God. Seek what is above us.' I spoke to the winds that blow, and the whole air and all that lives in it replied, 'Anaximenes [philosopher who taught that air is the first cause of all things] is wrong. I am not God.' I asked the sky, the sun, the moon, and the stars, but they told me, 'Neither are we the God whom you seek.' I spoke to all the things that are about me, all that can be admitted by the door of the senses, and I said, 'Since you are not my God, tell me about him. Tell me something of my God.' Clear and loud they answered, 'God is who made us.' I asked these questions simply by gazing at these things, and their beauty was all the answer they gave."


I love the beauty of the Iowa sky. Let my awe be a response of praise to God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit! He made it all.

Psalm 19:1 "To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. [ESV]"

Genesis 9:13-15 "I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh. And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth. [ESV]"

Revelation 4:3 "And he who sat there had the appearance of jasper and carnelian, and around the throne was a rainbow that had the appearance of an emerald. [ESV]"


Nahum 1:3 "The LORD is slow to anger and great in power, and the LORD will by no means clear the guilty. His way is in whirlwind and storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet. [ESV]"

Job 37:10-13 "By the breath of God ice is given, and the broad waters are frozen fast. He loads the thick cloud with moisture; the clouds scatter his lightning. They turn around and around by his guidance, to accomplish all that he commands them on the face of the habitable world. [ESV]"

Isaiah 44:2 "I have blotted out your transgressions like a cloud and your sins like mist; return to me, for I have redeemed you. [ESV]"

Matthew 17:5 "He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, 'This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.' [ESV]"

Acts 1:9 "And when he had said these things, as they were looking on, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight. [ESV]"

Psalm 107:25 "For he commanded and raised the stormy wind, which lifted up the waves of the sea. [ESV]"

Psalm 50:3 "Our God comes; he does not keep silence; before him is a devouring fire, around him a mighty tempest. [ESV]"

Matthew 16:3 "And in the morning, 'It will be stormy today, for the sky is red and threatening.' You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times. [ESV]"

Revelation 14:16 "So he who sat on the cloud swung his sickle across the earth, and the earth was reaped. [ESV]"

Psalm 85:11 "Faithfulness springs up from the ground, and righteousness looks down from the sky. [ESV]"

Daniel 12:3 "And those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky above; and those who turn many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever. [ESV]"

Matthew 24:30 "Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. [ESV]"

Matthew 26:64 "Jesus said to him, 'You have said so. But I tell you, from now on you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power and coming on the clouds of heaven.' [ESV]"

Mark 14:62 "And Jesus said, 'I am, and you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven.' [ESV]"

1 Thessalonians 4:17 "Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. [ESV]"

Revelation 1:7 "Behold, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him, and all tribes of the earth will wail on account of him. Even so. Amen. [ESV]"


God bless you all today!

In Christ
Noah

1 comment:

Noah Braymen said...

Oh, I didn't mention it, but all of these pics were taken from the either down the street, on the back patio, or the front stoop of our house in Waukee...cool:)