Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Appointment With Death

I was listening to a John Murray sermon on Hebrews 9:27-28:
"And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him. [ESV]"

After listening to the sermon I was thinking about life. I remembered a very close friend I had in college. The last night that I spoke with him we were talking about heaven, and we clearly had a disagreement [I'm sure he's forgotten, but it's still vivid to me]... He thought that this earth, and what we experience in life, here, is heaven. I told him that if this is heaven he's crazy. Life is really hard and it hurts to lose loved ones, and see people in general die.

Anyhow, I was making copies of letters for 4 + hours like I do every day, and I was thinking about my friend. I really loved that guy, but it's been probably 2-3 years. My flesh was starting to tempt me to desire the worldly things I desired when I was in college...you know...glory for myself, friends that are famous in the jazz industry, etc. Then I looked up and saw the cross on the top of the Roman Catholic church next to our building and my delusions of grandeur were broken. Then I remembered the passage above...

I'm clean in Christ...it is appointed for me to die, so redeem the time. I can play the guitar to God's glory in heaven.

For now, keep studying to prepare for the teaching and preaching of the gospel.
For now, keep groaning with the rest of creation waiting for adoption and the redemption of my body.
For now, tell people about who Jesus is and as Johnny Cash would say, "God's going to cut you down," if you don't repent.
For now, grasp for Joy in my saviour and His bride.
For now, enjoy the blessing Lindsey is in my life.
For now, enjoy His grace that I might breath another breath.
For now, sanctification.

When He appears it won't be to deal with sin, but it will be to take me home. When He appears we will be changed. Keep grasping and fighting this good fight of faith!

No comments: