Monday, February 05, 2007

Provocative Statements...

I was listening to J. Ligon Duncan III's sermon on Ephesians 1:7-8 today called Abundant Grace preached 7/24/2005. Anyhow he said something that really stopped me in my tracks...here it is...
"'Hell is eternity in the presence of God.' I meant to say it that way. Listen to it again: 'Hell is eternity in the presence of God. Heaven is eternity in the presence of God with a Mediator.'"

[Duncan III, Ligon fifth-seventh paragraphs under: II Forgiveness of our sins – breaking of God’s law in the sermon Abundant Grace. He is quoting Professor Finlayson of the Free Church College.]

This reminds me of another provocative statement that either he or Dr. Kelly said in one of my systematic theology classes. That went something like this...
"Salvation is by works...that's correct, salvation is by the works of Christ, not mankind."

These kind of statements are great...because at first the confuse you, but then you think about it and it makes pretty good sense. Anyhow, I just thought I'd share:)

1 comment:

Josh said...

Reminds me of Grudem speaking of God's omnipresence in his Systematic Theology. He asks a question to the effect of "If God is everywhere, is He in hell?" He explains that yes, God is "in" hell. He is not suffering in hell but is pouring out His wrath on sin/sinners. So I guess he'd say that hell is eternity in the presence of God as a Judge and Executioner, so to speak.