Monday, November 13, 2006

Psalm 23 "מִזְמוֹר לְדָוִד:"

(Adonai Roi, Lo Ehsar / The Lord is My Shepherd, I shall not Want)

When I was younger I used to sing the solo from Chichester Psalms (in case you are familiar with this work…yes, I was a first soprano).

Anyhow, I never knew what I was saying…turns out it was the Hebrew for the 23rd Psalm. It’s crazy…I don’t have the 23rd Psalm memorized in English, but I do in Hebrew!

For your interest here is the first part...[Psalm 23:1-3]
אֶחְסָר מִזְמוֹר לְדָוִד:.
Adonai roi, lo ehsar.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

מְנֻחוֹת יְנַהֲלֵנִי בִּנְאוֹת דֶּשֶׁא, יַרְבִּיצֵנִי; עַל-מֵי.
Bin'ot deshe yarbitseini, Al mei m'nuhot y'nahaleini,
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures, He leadeth me beside the still waters,

לְמַעַן שְׁמוֹ ,נַפְשִׁי יְשׁוֹבֵב; יַנְחֵנִי בְמַעְגְּלֵי-צֶדֶק,.
Naf'shi y'shovev, Yan'heini b'ma'aglei tsedek, L'ma'an sh'mo.
He restoreth my soul, He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness, For His name's sake.

לְמַעַן שְׁמוֹ.[L'ma'n sh'mo / for His name's sake]
Noah

No comments: