Tuesday, October 10, 2006

"Redeeming the Time"

Here's a post I did at Matt Proctor's blog under his posts Rest is the Youth Pastor's Missing Ingredient and Idleness is the Youth Pastor's Playhouse:
You know a few passages popped in my head when I was reading your posts on this.

Proverbs 19:15 "Slothfulness casts into a deep sleep, and an idle person will suffer hunger. [ESV]"

and

Proverbs 20:13 "Love not sleep, lest you come to poverty; open your eyes, and you will have plenty of bread. [ESV]"

I think that rest and sloth are completely different states of mind...yet the same outward appearance. Deliberateness in the use of time is almost always good [Eph 5:16] whether for rest, work or play. You don't have to be sharing Christ every second to be productive...but doing everything in faith to the glory of Christ should be done every second [Ro 14:23; 1 Cor 10:31]. To not would be to sin.

My problem is that I'll say I'm going to rest...and I'll watch tv...and then I have a headache...or I just don't feel revived. So after all of that mindless numbness of vegging in front of the 'boob tube' didn't result in rest. That's not good redemption of the time...for my physiology:)

In Christ
Noah

I assume that rest isn't only a problem for youth pastors...what do you guys think about this?

No comments: