Thursday, April 06, 2006

Knowing God

I'm teaching a class on Knowing God for the next month on Wednesday nights (April 5, 12, 19, 26 and May 3). We'll be talking a little about J.I. Packer's book Knowing God, a little about J.C. Ryle's book Holiness, a little about Jonathan's essay on The Distinguishing Marks of Believers, and more.

Here are some key verses in regards to knowing God. Knowing God is very important because knowing God is eternal life!

John 17:3 And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.

1 John 2:3-6 And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. Whoever says "I know him" but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may be sure that we are in him: whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.

Galatians 4:8-9 Formerly, when you did not know God, you were enslaved to those that by nature are not gods. But now that you have come to know God, or rather be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and worhtless elementary principles of the world, whose slaves you want to be once more?

These passages remind me of Psalm 73:25-26 Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

More to come in the following weeks regarding Knowing God!

No comments: