Wednesday, December 13, 2006

What are Annan's "Human Rights", and "Rule of Law"?


I don't know if any of you read Kofi Annan's speech in Missouri the other day, but I recommend you check it out [ADDRESS AT THE TRUMAN PRESIDENTIAL MUSEUM & LIBRARY]. He had some pretty good points. But here are a few quotes that stood out to me...
"No community anywhere suffers from too much rule of law; many do suffer from too little – and the international community is among them. This we must change. [Pp. 4]"
Come on...does he really mean this?

"But if our different communities are to live together in peace we must stress also what unites us: our common humanity, and our shared belief that human dignity and rights should be protected by law. ...basic rights are protected and they can be confident of fair treatment under the law. [Pp. 3]"
This begs the question...what is your definition of human rights and shared human dignity?? I'm pretty sure we'll disagree on that!

"In short, human rights and the rule of law are vital to global security and prosperity. [Pp. 3]"
I agree, but whose definition of "human rights", and whose set "rule of law" are we going to go by?

I'm sick of being talked to with these generalities like they actually mean something. I agree that the down-trodden needs to be guaranteed some human rights in this world, but I'm afraid that a few vague statements about "rule of law" aren't going to do the trick. Also, what about the rights of unborn babies? Also, folks who are persecuted for their faith probably would say that their community has a little too much "rule of law". Maybe Kofi meant "bad rule of law" I don't think so though.

No comments: