Friday, April 28, 2006

Psalms 2:7-12: Kiss the Son!

Lindsey and I are currently doing devotions on the Psalms...I'll probably post some things that pop out from time to time. The Psalms are rich!

This week Psalm 2:7-12 stood out to me.

"I will tell of the decree: The LORD said to me, 'You are my Son; today I have begottn you. Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession. You shall break them with a rod of iron and dash them to pieces like a potter's vessel.'

Now therefore, O kings, be wise; Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the Son, lest he be angry and you perish in the way, for his wrath is quickly kindled. Blessed are all who take refuge in him."


There is a dual meaning in this. The psalmist is talking about God speaking toward him, and yet this is a prophecy of Jesus Christ. "You are my Son; today I have begotten you." These words were written 1000-965 years before Christ's birth (the New Testament fulfillment of this is in Acts 13:33; Hebrews 1:5; 5:5; and some translations of Luke 3:22).

It's glorious to think of the phrase David said above. "Kiss the son, lest he be angry and you perish in the way, for his wrath is quickly kindled." He knew that unless we embrace the Son that we would truly perish in our sin. God is clearly slow to anger in the rest of the Psalms (Psalm 86:15; 103:8; 145:8) yet His anger can be quickly kindled against us (Deuteronomy 7:4; 11:17; Joshua 23:16) to the point that His wrath is quickly kindled against us, unless we "Kiss the Son." God is slow to anger, and yet when His justice comes it will be sweeping...like at thief in the night (1 Thessalonians 5:2; Matthew 24:36-51). So is anger and wrath work fast in one sense and slow in another, but it works nonetheless.

So embrace the Son Jesus Christ as your Lord and your God. He loved you and died for you (John 3:16). It's amazing that in a way David said John 14:6 "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'," almost 1000 before Christ.

"Kiss the Son!"

No comments: